- This event has passed.
Expert Office Hours: April 5, 2019
April 5, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
| Expert Office Hours
Need business advice? Meet the experts.
When it comes to launching and growing your startup, there are always too many questions. That’s why Innovate New Albany created Expert Office Hours. We bring together expert service providers from varied disciplines who share their expertise at no cost to those who need answers.
Get answers to your toughest questions including:
– what incorporation form is right for me?
– how to protect my intellectual property?
– how to secure funds for expansion?
– can I get a professional website without investing a fortune?
– how to use digital marketing effectively?
– how to earn free publicity for my business?
– how to find the right workspace for my team?
– and many, many more!
Schedule your 30-minute session below:
Ryan Steele | Porter Wright
Emerging Business Attorney
Ryan helps early stage entrepreneurs choose optimal business structures and complete documentation innovators needed to establish their business foundation, grow and expand, and ultimately exit on their own favorable terms.
Ryan also handles corporate contractual matters to bring mergers, acquisitions, financing, startup operations, and other general business transactions to fruition. Combining business operations knowledge with legal acumen, Ryan efficiently executes complex business contracts so that rapidly growing companies, business owners and early stage entrepreneurs can cost-effectively achieve their growth goals.
Ryan also brings great business savvy to his client relationships. Having managed an office of over 100 people, Ryan can apply his first-hand knowledge of everyday business functions including project management, employee management, and independent contracting, providing practical counsel to fast-growing entities so they can overcome challenges and achieve their business goals.
Great questions for Ryan:
- Incorporating Your New Business – What forms are possible and the pros/cons of each
- Capital Tables – How to structure company ownership to ensure achieving my long term goals?
- Business Operating Agreements – What are these and when does my business need one?
- Liability – How do I protect myself and my business?
- Written Contracts – When and why should my business use them?
- Regulation & Red Tape – What docs must I file to comply with laws/rules for my industry?
Rick Mescher | Porter Wright
Intellectual Property & Technology Law
Rick Mescher is a partner in Porter Wright’s Intellectual Property and Technology practice groups. His practice involves all aspects of intellectual property law and focuses on the preparation and prosecution of patent applications. Rick has extensive experience with domestic, international, and foreign patent applications, as well as technology transfer and licensing. Prior to law school, Rick was a design engineer for satellite imaging instruments. He has been an adjunct faculty member of the Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law since 2006, and currently teaches patent preparation and prosecution. From 2000 to 2005, Rick taught patent practice and procedure at the University of Dayton School of Law, and from 1997 to 1999 he taught patent law at Case Western Reserve University School of Law.
Great questions for Rick:
- What factors should I weigh in deciding whether to obtain a patent?
- What is the value of securing registrations for patents, trademarks, or copyright?
- How can I best protect my own or my business’s intellectual property on a limited budget?
- Do I own intellectual property rights for things I created while employed by another person/company?
Pete Georgeff | Rev1 Ventures
After spending over 8 years in the Marine Corps, Pete Georgeff began his path to helping entrepreneurs through The Mission Continues Fellowship Program hosted in Columbus by Bunker Labs. Through this program, Pete became heavily involved with the startup ecosystem in Columbus, which led to him joining the Rev1 Ventures team as the Entrepreneur Engagement Adviser.
Great questions for Pete:
- What is Rev1?
- What types of companies typically fit with Rev1’s model?
- How does Rev1 help entrepreneurs build companies?
Sara Becker | New Albany CPA Co.
Business Tax Consulting and Preparation
Sara L. Becker, CPA is the President of The New Albany CPA Co. Her experience from Big 4 firms to Fortune 500 companies gives her unique insight into providing optimal tax solutions for business owners. Her focus is providing personalized strategies that leverage savings while also enhancing compliance protection, as available.
Specialties include business planning and comprehensive real estate tax solutions. Services are flat-fee based and include monthly packages that complete the accounting cycle from the business’ bookkeeping to the final individual tax return preparation. A free initial consultation is included. The New Albany CPA Co. is a Preferred Vendor of the Columbus Board of Realtors and an approved wholesale partner of Intuit.
Great questions for Sara:
- What is the most advantageous legal entity for my business?
- How can I utilize tax safe harbors available for (specific areas of) audit protection?
- Who should own the vehicle: the business or the owner?
- Am I filing with the right tax jurisdictions and agencies?
Miglena Kotevski | Huntington National Bank
Miglena Kotevski is a Business Banking Relationship Manager/Vice President with the Huntington Business Banking Team in Central Ohio, located in Easton Oval 7. She has over 12 years of experience in banking (all with Huntington), 10 of them working with business clients of different industries and revenue size. Miglena loves assisting Huntington clients with starting their own businesses, growing existing businesses, and going through all stages of a business lifecycle. She works closely with the Huntington Retail banking offices in New Albany, Gahanna, and the surrounding areas to ensure that her clients are being assisted with all their banking/finance needs.
Great questions for Miglena:
- How should I finance a start-up?
- What kind of financing can I obtain to grow my business?
- What do I need to buy a building or to purchase an existing business?
- What kind of bank accounts does Huntington offer on the business banking side?
- How the bank can help a business with day-to-day operations?
Emily Journey | WP Artisans
WordPress & SEO Strategy
Emily Journey is a national WordPress Trainer. She works with companies all over the United States and calls Central Ohio her home. She teaches professionals to manage and update their company websites. Her training clients include Marketers, IT Management, Real Estate Agents, Administrative Support Staff, Website Managers, and independent business owners of all types. “When you understand technology, you can leverage it to make a greater social impact and increase sales.
Great questions for Emily:
- How does SEO really work?
- How should I use WordPress for my business?
- What all should I know about website security?
- What should I look for in a website developer?
- What website problems can I avoid?
Susan Fortner | Bowers PR
Susan Fortner has 20+ years of experience in public relations and marketing. She opened her own public relations firm with a partner firm in Cleveland. Bowers PR manages accounts throughout the country specializing in health care, talent, banking, and packaged and soft goods. In addition the firm is recognized as a broker/partner with QVC, HSN, and Evine shopping networks.
Fortner has won awards and sits on the accreditation board to advance candidates in the Accreditation in Public Relations process. In 2013 Susan received special honors for her work in crisis management.
Great questions for Susan:
- How can I promote my company on a limited budget?
- How do I set Marketing & PR budgets that are sufficient to drive results?
- What simple steps can I take to improve my social media visibility rapidly?
- Which charities, like-minded businesses, and complementary companies should I partner with?
- How do I create and execute events that will differentiate my business in a crowded market?
Kevin Hammond | Ohio SBDC
Business Management Advice
Kevin Hammond has been a business management consultant for 13 years, mostly focused on small businesses and start-ups. Kevin has been on the SBDC team for almost ten years as a consultant. Prior to consulting, Kevin was in financial services at Chase Manhattan. Kevin has an undergraduate degree in Business Administration from Ohio Dominican University and an MBA from Capital University.
The Ohio SBDC is part of America’s SBDC national network comprised of over 1000 Centers across the U.S. including 28 in Ohio. The Ohio SBDC Network provides one-on-one advising, by Certified Business Advisors, at no cost and conduct no or low cost business training.
Great questions for Kevin:
- I have a business idea. What is my next step?
- How do I market my services and products?
- How can I take my business to the next level?
- How and where can I get money for my business?
- How do I keep track of my financial records and assure I’m tax compliant?
*Please note that if you register and don’t attend, that time slot doesn’t get filled, keeping other entrepreneurs from getting expert advice. If you have registered and need to cancel, please email Neil Collins at email@example.com.
[app_monthly_schedule date=”2019-04-05″ title=”
Expert Office Hours schedule for START
” logged=”Click a free day to book an appointment” service=”1″ require_provider=”1″]
Expert Office Hours
Your Questions • Our Experts
Fridays, 8:30-11:30 am
|August 5||February 3|
|October 7||April 7|
|December 2||June 2|
Subscribe to Our Updates!
Why New Albany?
As a community created by innovators for innovators, New Albany offers a robust ecosystem that leverages entrepreneurship, business connectivity, public-private partnerships and quality of life to inspire creativity and accelerate commerce.