- This event has passed.
Expert Office Hours – Fri August 7 – via Zoom
August 7, 2020 @ 8:30 am - 11:30 am
| Expert Office Hours
Need business advice? Meet 1:1 with the specific experts you need – NOW 100% VIRTUAL!
Innovate New Albany created Expert Office Hours to make it easy for business owners & aspiring entrepreneurs to get the answers they need.
And on Friday August 7, Expert Office Hours will be 100% Virtual!
1. Review our roster of TWELVE Experts, below
2. Click on the MAKE APPOINTMENTS NOW link, below
3. Make individual appointments w/ the experts you need – just one – or up to six
4. Thu Aug 6: receive an email showing all your appointments – w/ a Zoom link (or a call-in phone number) for each appointment
5. Fri Aug 7: at the time of each appointment, click on the Zoom link, or call the phone number, to virtually meet w/ your selected expert
1. For most of you, a personal computer will be the best means to access your expert meetings; no need to download software.
2. Got questions? Please email Neil Collins at “neil@InnovateNewAlbany.org”.
Schedule up to six 30-minute meeting(s) below:
Noor Bahhur | Porter Wright
Law – Intellectual Property
An associate in Porter Wright’s Corporate Department, Noor Bahhur focuses her practice on intellectual property, privacy, and data security. Noor has experience assisting with a variety of trademark and copyright matters. Her work included the clearance, selection and adaption of trademarks in both domestic and international contexts. Additionally, Noor has helped with copyright matters for architectural drawings and designs and software disputes.
Great questions for Noor:
- What is the value of securing registrations for patents, trademarks, or copyright?
- How can I best protect my own or my business’s intellectual property on a limited budget?
- Do I own intellectual property rights for things I created while employed by another person/company?
Ryan Steele | Porter Wright
Startup & Emerging Business Law
At Porter Wright, Ryan Steele helps early stage entrepreneurs choose optimal business structures and complete the documentation needed to establish their business foundation, grow and expand, and ultimately exit on their own favorable terms.
Ryan also handles corporate contractual matters to bring mergers, acquisitions, financing, startup operations, and other general business transactions to fruition. Combining business operations knowledge with legal acumen, Ryan efficiently executes complex business contracts so that rapidly growing companies, business owners and early stage entrepreneurs can cost-effectively achieve their growth goals.
Ryan also brings great business savvy to his client relationships. Having managed an office of over 100 people, Ryan can apply his first-hand knowledge of everyday business functions including project management, employee management, and independent contracting, providing practical counsel to fast-growing entities so they can overcome challenges and achieve their business goals.
Great questions for Ryan:
- Incorporating Your New Business – What forms are possible and the pros/cons of each
- Capital Tables – How to structure company ownership to ensure achieving my long term goals?
- Business Operating Agreements – What are these and when does my business need one?
- Liability – How do I protect myself and my business?
- Written Contracts – When and why should my business use them?
- Regulation & Red Tape – What docs must I file to comply with laws/rules for my industry?
Miglena Kotevski | Huntington National Bank
Financing for Early Stage Businesses
Miglena Kotevski is a Business Banking Development Officer Sr/Vice President with the Huntington Business Banking Team in Central Ohio. She has 14 years of experience in banking (all with Huntington), 12 of them working with business clients of different industries and revenue size. Miglena loves assisting Huntington clients with starting their own businesses, growing existing businesses, and going through all stages of a business lifecycle. She works closely with the Huntington Retail banking offices in New Albany, Gahanna, and the surrounding areas to ensure that her clients are being assisted with all their banking/finance needs.
Great questions for Miglena:
- How should I finance a start-up?
- What kind of financing can I obtain to grow my business?
- What do I need to buy a building or to purchase an existing business?
- What kind of bank accounts does Huntington offer on the business banking side?
- How the bank can help a business with day-to-day operations?
Brad Griffith | Buckeye Interactive
Web Strategy & Engineering
Brad Griffith is President of Buckeye Interactive, the web strategy and engineering agency he started in 2009. Prior to starting Buckeye Interactive, Brad spent several years consulting and developing web applications in-house for a variety of companies including JPMorgan Chase, QUALCOMM, and the Go Big Network. Brad earned his Masters in Business Administration after completing his Bachelor’s in Electrical and Computer Engineering with honors, both at The Ohio State University.
He has more than 20 years of web development experience and has worked from coast to coast with small and large companies, educational institutions, non-profit organizations and government agencies to build innovative web solutions.
Great questions for Brad:
- What is the best way to get my website started?
- How do I start planning an application for my business?
- How can I improve my site for better SEO?
- What different ways can I start building my company’s brand?
- How can I refresh or redesign my website?
Manny Larcher | Stopwatch Creative
Growth Marketing & Branding
Manny Larcher is founder and owner of Stopwatch Creative. He enjoys helping others find purpose in their work. He’s had the opportunity to work with highly respected brands and amazing mentors, to hone in and develop skills in brand management and business development.
In his firm, Manny leads both strategy and execution, with the clear goal of driving positive ROI for clients. Stopwatch is a full-service agency specializing in Digital Transformation and delivering results in Data Storytelling, UI/UX, Website/App and Brand Development, Experiential Marketing, Mergers & Acquisitions, and much more.
Great questions for Manny:
- Am I using best design practices to provide a great user experience and engagement?
- How can I generate more sales?
- How can I maximize the results of advertising efforts with my analytics?
- How can I build a compelling brand identity including logo, color scheme, other brand assets?
Susan Fortner | Bowers PR
Public Relations & Marketing
Susan Fortner has 20+ years of experience in public relations and marketing. Her firm Bowers PR manages accounts throughout the country specializing in health care, talent, banking, and packaged and soft goods. In addition the firm is recognized as a broker/partner with QVC, HSN, and Evine shopping networks.
Fortner has won awards and sits on the accreditation board to advance candidates in the Accreditation in Public Relations process. In 2013 Susan received special honors for her work in crisis management.
Great questions for Susan:
- How can I promote my company on a limited budget?
- How do I set Marketing & PR budgets that are sufficient to drive results?
- What simple steps can I take to improve my social media visibility rapidly?
- Which charities, like-minded businesses, and complementary companies should I partner with?
- How do I create and execute events that will differentiate my business in a crowded market?
- How can I get my products featured on shopping channels like QVC and HSN?
Satish Albert | E2 Infosystems
Custom Software & App Development
Satish Albert is Founder & CEO of E2 Infosystems. Satish offers a unique combination of enterprise software development expertise and practical entrepreneurial experience gained while bootstrapping and then selling his own successful SaaS startup. Satish has an advanced degree in computer science and deep experience with leading development teams at premier tech companies including: AT&T, Lucent Technologies (Bell Labs), and Docomo Intertouch
Satish launched E2 Infosystems to partner with emerging and scaling companies by engineering software solutions meeting their specific needs and implementing best practices effectively and efficiently.
E2 Infosystems has developed software and mobile applications serving:
- SaaS startups
- Healthcare & Assisted Living
- Travel, Manufacturing and Enterprise Legacy Systems
Great questions for Satish:
- How do I turn my idea into a software product or application?
- What factors influence the price of development of a software or application?
- What are the latest trends or best practices in software/application development?
- How do I know if my software or application is built to grow as my business grows?
- What is a realistic timeline and what milestones can I expect when developing my products?
Heather Harmon | Rev1 Ventures
Resources for High-Growth Startups
As director of marketing and community outreach, Heather Harmon leads Rev1’s corporate marketing and communications initiatives. Her responsibilities range from creating and producing Rev1 messaging and collateral to managing multiple communications channels, including national online and print publications, www.rev1ventures.com, and social media. The marketing team provides monthly networking and speaker events, as well as Rev1’s annual Innovation Hop and the Impact Report. With Heather’s leadership, they work shoulder-to-shoulder with Rev1 portfolio companies on messaging, presentations, and PR initiatives.
Heather is the first point of contact for community organizations that connect with Rev1 to partner in support of entrepreneurs and startups and is continually expanding Rev1’s strategies and initiatives to broaden awareness of entrepreneur services across Central Ohio.
Great questions for Heather:
- What is Rev1?
- What types of companies typically fit with Rev1’s model?
- How does Rev1 help entrepreneurs build companies?
Lisa Messner | Book+Street
Cash Flow Forecasting & Financial Modeling
Lisa Messner has seen it all when it comes to financial statements of early stage companies. Lisa has over 25 years of experience in finance and accounting. Lisa joined Book+Street this spring after 13 years working for another firm assisting many companies with monthly financial reporting, cash projections and financial forecasts. Lisa was also the Controller for NCT Ventures for 2 years.
Lisa’s career began in public accounting at KPMG as an auditor. SFrom there, Lisa began helping start-up companies with financial reporting. Lisa has a BS in Accounting from San Diego State University and is a Certified Public Accountant in the State of Ohio.
Great questions for Lisa:
- How do we know if we will have enough cash to pay our bills on a weekly/monthly/yearly basis?
- What should I be doing monthly to keep my finances in good shape?
- What is our breakeven point?
- How can I streamline time spent doing bookkeeping and focus on growing our business?
- What accounting software do you recommend?
Michael Butler | Footprint Capital
Business Exit Advice & Planning
Michael Butler is Senior Director for Columbus based Footprint Capital. Footprint is a boutique investment banking firm that specializes in advising owners of businesses in the exit process. Michael formerly worked as a certified public accountant in both the audit and consulting practices, a Chief Financial Officer with a manufacturing and distribution company, a senior officer of a Fortune 100 company and a partner in a venture capital firm.These experiences have given him a broad perspective on various industries. He is also a Certified Merger & Acquisition Advisor (CMAA).
Great questions for Michael:
- How should I be preparing to sell my business?
- What are the possible exit options for my business?
- What is the value of having an advisor help me sell my company?
- What are the steps of a sale process and how long does it take?
Brian Laliberte | Oak Moon Consulting
Big Picture Strategic Advice
Brian Laliberte is a big thinker who knows how to execute. He provides rational and clear-headed analysis and direct advice designed to build and grow highly competitive, valuable, and sustainable companies. Brian and his team collaborate with their clients to define their objectives, design a plan, and help them execute it. His firm is industry agnostic and driven by a natural curiosity that allows it to approach each client and problem with open and agile minds.
Brian is the Founder and Managing Director of Oak Moon Consulting. Before he founded Oak Moon, Brian practiced law for more than 20-years in Columbus, Ohio as a trial lawyer, litigator, and counselor to businesses of all sizes. He uses this background to help portfolio companies navigate complex legal issues and build highly investable and sustainable firms.
Great questions for Brian:
- Here is our strategy. Tell us what you think. Have we chosen the right one?
- What are we doing right? What can we do better?
- Where do we go from here (wherever here is at present)?
- How do we get there?
- What aren’t we considering in pursuing our strategy?
Kevin Hammond | Ohio SBDC
Business Management Advice
Kevin Hammond has been a business management consultant for 13 years, mostly focused on small businesses and start-ups. Kevin has been on the SBDC team for almost ten years as a consultant. Prior to consulting, Kevin was in financial services at Chase Manhattan. Kevin has an undergraduate degree in Business Administration from Ohio Dominican University and an MBA from Capital University.
The Ohio SBDC is part of America’s SBDC national network comprised of over 1000 Centers across the U.S. including 28 in Ohio. The Ohio SBDC Network provides one-on-one advising, by Certified Business Advisors, at no cost and conduct no or low cost business training.
Great questions for Kevin:
- I have a business idea. What is my next step?
- How do I market my services and products?
- How can I take my business to the next level?
- How and where can I get money for my business?
- How do I keep track of my financial records and assure I’m tax compliant?
*Please note that if you register and don’t attend, your time slot will go unfilled, preventing other entrepreneurs from getting the expert advice they need. If you register, but later find that you cannot keep your appointment, please email Neil Collins at email@example.com.
Choose your Expert from the dropdown menu below and click on the event date to schedule your Expert Office Hours Appointment.
Expert Office Hours
Your Questions • Our Experts
|Fri Oct 6||Thu Dec 7|
|Fri Feb 2||Fri Apr 5|
|Fri Jun 7||Fri Aug 2|
|Fri Aug 4||Thu Dec 5|
Register 2-3 weeks in advance
Subscribe to Our Updates!
Why New Albany?
As a community created by innovators for innovators, New Albany offers a robust ecosystem that leverages entrepreneurship, business connectivity, public-private partnerships and quality of life to inspire creativity and accelerate commerce.