Event Recap: Grow Your Business by Networking With LinkedIn
Are you doing everything you can to maximize your presence on LinkedIn? Are you joining groups and sharing articles? Are you reaching out to your connections every day? If not, Debra Mathias says you should be.
Debra, a LinkedIn trainer and facilitator, presented “Grow Your Business By Networking With LinkedIn” at Innovate New Albany on August 28. The presentation was part of Innovate New Albany’s TIGER Talks luncheon series, which educates business owners on topics of Technology, Innovation, Growth, Entrepreneurship, and Responsibility.
During her 35-minutes presentation, Debra gave the group sound advice on what to include in their profiles, how to engage with their connections, and when and how to share articles.
Debra said your profile is the most important part of your presence on LinkedIn. Your background summary should begin with interesting facts about you or something you’ve done, even if it’s not directly related to your business. This will make you more memorable and help create a connection with someone.
The proceeding paragraphs of your background summary should include the organizations you are involved with, your business accomplishments, your specialties, and any photos, PDFs or videos about your business. She advised having two recommendations for each job that you’ve held.
Debra offered the group the following LinkedIn tips and suggestions:
- Comment on something every day. Read the articles your connections have shared with you on your home page, and like and comment on them. There is no greater way to get your name out on LinkedIn than to start a conversation on an article someone has shared.
- Choose a professional looking photo for your LinkedIn profile. It doesn’t have to be professionally taken, but it should portray you in a professional light.
- Keep in touch with your connections by wishing them a happy birthday, or congratulating them on a new job or employment anniversary. LinkedIn generates an automatic message, but personalizing it with a few extra lines will go a long way toward making an impression.
- Join groups or associations that you want to do business with. Share articles with those groups, as well as with your connections. This is a great way to market yourself and your business.
- Be sure to view your profile as your connections see it. You can do this by clicking on the “View profile as” button on your profile page.
- The Columbus Chamber of Commerce and Columbus Business First have loyal followers. Post relevant articles to their LinkedIn pages.
LinkedIn provides business owners with a unique opportunity for networking and business growth. With a strong LinkedIn presence, you can target potential business, showcase your expertise, and further engage with your network.
For more information about maximizing your business presence on LinkedIn, email Debra at firstname.lastname@example.org, call her at (614) 563-7840, or connect with her on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/in/debramathias.
Expert Office Hours
Your Questions • Our Experts
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
|Thu Dec 7
|Fri Feb 2
|Fri Apr 5
|Fri Jun 7
|Fri Aug 2
|Fri Oct 4
|Thu Dec 5
Register 2-3 weeks in advance
Subscribe to Our Updates!
Why New Albany?
As a community created by innovators for innovators, New Albany offers a robust ecosystem that leverages entrepreneurship, business connectivity, public-private partnerships and quality of life to inspire creativity and accelerate commerce.