Expert Office Hours: August 2, 2019
August 2 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
| Expert Office Hours
Need business advice? Meet the experts.
When it comes to launching and growing your startup, there are always too many questions. That’s why Innovate New Albany created Expert Office Hours. We bring together expert service providers from varied disciplines who share their expertise at no cost to those who need answers.
Get answers to your toughest questions including:
– what incorporation form is right for me?
– how to protect my intellectual property?
– how to secure funds for expansion?
– can I get a professional website without investing a fortune?
– how to use digital marketing effectively?
– how to earn free publicity for my business?
– how to find the right workspace for my team?
– and many, many more!
Schedule your 30-minute session below:
Noor Bahhur | Porter Wright
Law – Intellectual Property
An associate in the firm’s Corporate Department, Noor Bahhur focuses her practice on intellectual property, privacy, and data security. Noor has experience assisting with a variety of trademark and copyright matters. Her work included the clearance, selection and adaption of trademarks in both domestic and international contexts. Additionally, Noor has helped with copyright matters for architectural drawings and designs and software disputes.
Great questions for Noor:
- What is the value of securing registrations for patents, trademarks, or copyright?
- How can I best protect my own or my business’s intellectual property on a limited budget?
- Do I own intellectual property rights for things I created while employed by another person/company?
Jasmin Hurley | Porter Wright
Startup & Emerging Business Attorney
Jasmin Hurley is an associate in the firm’s Corporate Department where she represents clients across many industries, including food and beverage, health care, media, and technology. She has experience in advising startup and small businesses to large private companies regarding entity structure, formation, governance and financing, as well as preparation of business and commercial documents. Jasmin advises women, minority, and veteran-owned businesses regarding business certification at the local, state, and national levels, and provides support during the application process. A Veteran of the U.S. Army, she held leadership roles in the Military Police as Platoon Leader, Executive Officer, and Battalion Plans Officer. She is a combat Veteran and a Bronze Star recipient.
Great questions for Jasmin:
- Incorporating Your New Business – What forms are possible and the pros/cons of each
- Business Operating Agreements – What are these and when does my business need one?
- Liability – How do I protect myself and my business?
- Written Contracts – When and why should my business use them?
- Regulation & Red Tape – What docs must I file to comply with laws/rules for my industry?
- How do I obtain a women-owned business certification?
Brittany Dixon | Brittany & Co.
Streamlining Sales Systems & Automation
Brittany Dixon, of Brittany & Co, is a Sales System & Process Expert. She helps highly driven visionary entrepreneurs implement project management, system & sales process improvement, organization, and automation to free up their time to do big things in their zone of genius and allow them to increase their income.
She specializes in helping her clients manage systems from strategy to completion. She helps in documenting and refining their business processes & infrastructure to allow the business to run more efficiently and grow!
A mother of twin girls Kenna and Layla, Brittany started her Entrepreneurial journey in October 2015 when she started her Professional Organizing business Clutter Control. She then ventured into the online business world in March 2017, and Brittany & Co was born. Prior to starting her businesses, Brittany spent 12 years in Customer Service, Event Planning, and Hospitality.
Great questions for Brittany:
- What is the best CRM to use to track my leads and client relationships?
- What is the best Project Management Tool?
- What is the best tool for proposals/contracts?
- What is the best online scheduling system?
- How do I add automation to my business?
Jake Epling | Compass Business Group
IT, Network, Telecommunications & Security
Jake Epling has 6 years of experience as an IT security professional for a multi-billion dollar organization in Columbus, Ohio. He’s since focused his efforts at helping small to medium-sized businesses secure their networks and protect their data.
Great questions for Jake:
- How do I know my network is set up correctly?
- How do I ensure my data is secure?
- WiFi and/or internet connection is too slow–how can I fix this issue?
- What are some of security basics I can cover without hiring someone?
- What are some common IT security gaps in a growing business?
Susan Fortner | Bowers PR
Susan Fortner has 20+ years of experience in public relations and marketing. She opened her own public relations firm with a partner firm in Cleveland. Bowers PR manages accounts throughout the country specializing in health care, talent, banking, and packaged and soft goods. In addition the firm is recognized as a broker/partner with QVC, HSN, and Evine shopping networks.
Fortner has won awards and sits on the accreditation board to advance candidates in the Accreditation in Public Relations process. In 2013 Susan received special honors for her work in crisis management.
Great questions for Susan:
- How can I promote my company on a limited budget?
- How do I set Marketing & PR budgets that are sufficient to drive results?
- What simple steps can I take to improve my social media visibility rapidly?
- Which charities, like-minded businesses, and complementary companies should I partner with?
- How do I create and execute events that will differentiate my business in a crowded market?
Emily Journey | WP Artisans
WordPress & SEO Strategy
Emily Journey is a national WordPress Trainer. She works with companies all over the United States and calls Central Ohio her home. She teaches professionals to manage and update their company websites. Her training clients include Marketers, IT Management, Real Estate Agents, Administrative Support Staff, Website Managers, and independent business owners of all types. “When you understand technology, you can leverage it to make a greater social impact and increase sales.
Great questions for Emily:
- How does SEO really work?
- How should I use WordPress for my business?
- What all should I know about website security?
- What should I look for in a website developer?
- What website problems can I avoid?
Sara Becker | New Albany CPA Co.
Business Tax Consulting and Preparation
Sara L. Becker, CPA is the President of The New Albany CPA Co. Her experience from Big 4 firms to Fortune 500 companies gives her unique insight into providing optimal tax solutions for business owners. Her focus is providing personalized strategies that leverage savings while also enhancing compliance protection, as available.
Specialties include business planning and comprehensive real estate tax solutions. Services are flat-fee based and include monthly packages that complete the accounting cycle from the business’ bookkeeping to the final individual tax return preparation. A free initial consultation is included. The New Albany CPA Co. is a Preferred Vendor of the Columbus Board of Realtors and an approved wholesale partner of Intuit.
Great questions for Sara:
- What is the most advantageous legal entity for my business?
- How can I utilize tax safe harbors available for (specific areas of) audit protection?
- Who should own the vehicle: the business or the owner?
- Am I filing with the right tax jurisdictions and agencies?
Miglena Kotevski | Huntington National Bank
Miglena Kotevski is a Business Banking Relationship Manager/Vice President with the Huntington Business Banking Team in Central Ohio, located in Easton Oval 7. She has over 12 years of experience in banking (all with Huntington), 10 of them working with business clients of different industries and revenue size. Miglena loves assisting Huntington clients with starting their own businesses, growing existing businesses, and going through all stages of a business lifecycle. She works closely with the Huntington Retail banking offices in New Albany, Gahanna, and the surrounding areas to ensure that her clients are being assisted with all their banking/finance needs.
Great questions for Miglena:
- How should I finance a start-up?
- What kind of financing can I obtain to grow my business?
- What do I need to buy a building or to purchase an existing business?
- What kind of bank accounts does Huntington offer on the business banking side?
- How the bank can help a business with day-to-day operations?
Kevin Hammond | Ohio SBDC
Business Management Advice
Kevin Hammond has been a business management consultant for 13 years, mostly focused on small businesses and start-ups. Kevin has been on the SBDC team for almost ten years as a consultant. Prior to consulting, Kevin was in financial services at Chase Manhattan. Kevin has an undergraduate degree in Business Administration from Ohio Dominican University and an MBA from Capital University.
The Ohio SBDC is part of America’s SBDC national network comprised of over 1000 Centers across the U.S. including 28 in Ohio. The Ohio SBDC Network provides one-on-one advising, by Certified Business Advisors, at no cost and conduct no or low cost business training.
Great questions for Kevin:
- I have a business idea. What is my next step?
- How do I market my services and products?
- How can I take my business to the next level?
- How and where can I get money for my business?
- How do I keep track of my financial records and assure I’m tax compliant?
*Please note that if you register and don’t attend, that time slot doesn’t get filled, keeping other entrepreneurs from getting expert advice. If you have registered and need to cancel, please email Neil Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expert Office Hours
Business experts offer free 30-minute business consultations each month.See the Details
Subscribe to Our Updates!
Why New Albany?
As a community created by innovators for innovators, New Albany offers a robust ecosystem that leverages entrepreneurship, business connectivity, public-private partnerships and quality of life to inspire creativity and accelerate commerce.