- This event has passed.
Expert Office Hours – Friday June 25 – via Zoom
June 25, 2021 @ 8:30 am - 11:30 am
| Expert Office Hours
Please make your appointments by 7 pm on Thu 6/24/21. We will end registrations then, so our Experts can plan their Friday schedules.
1. Review our roster of Experts, below
2. Click on the MAKE APPOINTMENTS NOW link, below
3. Make individual appointments w/ the experts you need – just ONE – or, up to a maximum of SIX
4. You’ll receive an email & a calendar invitation – w/ a Zoom link (or call-in phone #) for each appointment
5. Fri June 25: at time of each appointment, click on Zoom link or call phone #, to meet w/ your selected Expert
1. For most of you, a personal computer will be the best means to access your Expert meetings via Zoom; no need to download software
2. Questions? Email Neil Collins at “neil@InnovateNewAlbany.org”
Schedule up to six 30-minute meeting(s) below:
Liane Rousseau | Porter Wright
Law – Trademarks & Other Intellectual Property
Liane focuses her practice on all aspects of intellectual property. Her experience across a wide range of industries allows her to provide her clients with comprehensive services that protect their products, services and intellectual assets.
Liane has extensive litigation experience in federal courts and with the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She routinely provides advice to clients concerning brand protection, trademark registration, licensing agreements and trademark, trade dress and copyright enforcement and defense.
With a background in privacy and data security, Liane has deep knowledge in litigation, records management and privacy policies. She also understands the operations and governance of intellectual property as it relates to entrepreneurships and startups.
Great Topics for Liane:
- Trademarks, Copyrights, & Patents
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Protection of a Business’s Intellectual Property
- Advertising Law: Can My Competitors Really Say “That”?
Miglena Kotevski | Huntington National Bank
Financing for Early Stage Businesses
Miglena Kotevski is a Program Manager for Huntington National Bank’s Lift Local Business Program, as part of the bank’s community plan commitment. Participants in Lift Local Business include women, veterans, and racially and ethnically diverse business owners.
Miglena has over 14 years of experience in banking (all with Huntington), 13 of them working with business clients of different industries and revenue size. She loves assisting Huntington clients with starting their own businesses, growing existing businesses, and going through all stages of a business lifecycle. She works closely with the Huntington Retail banking offices in New Albany, Gahanna, and the surrounding areas.
Great questions for Miglena:
- How should I finance the launch of a start-up or a new small business?
- What kind of financing can I obtain to grow my business?
- What are the basic requirements to buy a building? Or to purchase an existing business?
- What kind of bank accounts does Huntington offer on the business banking side?
- How can a bank help a business run its day-to-day operations effectively & efficiently?
Jake Epling | Compass Business Group
IT Solutions & Support
Jake Epling is an expert at providing IT security, support and infrastructure management services – with a particular focus on early stage companies, small businesses, and health care practices. Jake is Founder & CEO of Compass Business Group (CBG) which provides these services. CBG’s goal is simple: to give you the tools and resources you need to focus less on managing your IT environment and more on what matters most to YOUR customers and to YOUR business success. CBG’s services include anti-virus and security management, security training, helpdesk support, and project management services (server, network, wireless internet, PC/Mac deployments, etc.).
Great questions for Jake:
- Given the size and goals of our business, what core technologies would you recommend?
- What are the most common security pitfalls & risks for new & established businesses?
- What technology tools will facilitate excellent remote collaboration within my team?
- My company is too small to invest in full time IT support, but sometimes we need help ASAP. Can we outsource that type of quick-response support?
- We have a wired phone system in our office, but is there a better solution for today?
Satish Albert | E2 Infosystems
Custom Software & App Development
Satish Albert is Founder & CEO of E2 Infosystems. Satish offers a unique combination of experiences: enterprise software development and practical entrepreneurial a, the latter gained while bootstrapping and then selling his own successful SaaS startup. Satish has an advanced degree in computer science and deep experience leading development teams at premier tech companies including: AT&T, Lucent Technologies (Bell Labs), and Docomo Intertouch.
Satish launched E2 Infosystems to help emerging and scaling companies by engineering software solutions that meet their unique needs.
E2 Infosystems has developed software and mobile applications serving:
- SaaS startups
- Healthcare & Assisted Living businesses
- Travel, Manufacturing and Enterprise Legacy Systems
Great questions for Satish:
- How do I turn my idea into a software product or application?
- What factors influence the price of software or app development?
- What are the latest trends or best practices in software/app development?
- How can I make sure my software or app is built to grow as my business grows?
- What’s a realistic timeline & what milestones can I expect when developing my products?
Brad Griffith | Buckeye Interactive
Web Strategy & Engineering
Brad Griffith is President of Buckeye Interactive, the web strategy and engineering agency he started in 2009. Prior to starting Buckeye Interactive, Brad spent several years consulting and developing web applications in-house for a variety of companies including JPMorgan Chase, QUALCOMM, and the Go Big Network. Brad earned his Masters in Business Administration after completing his Bachelor’s in Electrical and Computer Engineering with honors, both at The Ohio State University.
He has more than 20 years of web development experience and has worked from coast to coast with small and large companies, educational institutions, non-profit organizations and government agencies to build innovative web solutions.
Great questions for Brad:
- What is the best way to get my website started?
- How do I start planning an application for my business?
- How can I improve my site for better SEO?
- What different ways can I start building my company’s brand?
- How can I refresh or redesign my website?
Susan Fortner | Bowers PR
Public Relations & Marketing
Susan Fortner has 20+ years of experience in public relations and marketing. Her firm Bowers PR manages accounts throughout the country specializing in health care, talent, banking, and packaged and soft goods. In addition the firm is recognized as a broker/partner with QVC, HSN, and Evine shopping networks.
Fortner has won awards and sits on the accreditation board to advance candidates in the Accreditation in Public Relations process. In 2013 Susan received special honors for her work in crisis management.
Great questions for Susan:
- How can I promote my company on a limited budget?
- How do I set Marketing & PR budgets that are sufficient to drive results?
- What simple steps can I take to improve my social media visibility rapidly?
- Which charities, like-minded businesses, and complementary companies should I partner with?
- How do I create and execute events that will differentiate my business in a crowded market?
- How can I get my products featured on shopping channels like QVC and HSN?
Tim Roe | Rev1 Ventures
Resources for High-Growth Startups
As a Rev1, Tim focuses on advanced manufacturing, artificial intelligence solutions, and other fields of innovation. With a passion for helping startups navigate the path from idea to entering the market, he works with entrepreneurs to build the right team and successfully create an investable business model to accelerate growth.
Tim brings prior experience in finance, sales, and operations plus his long-term interest in entrepreneurship from previous positions in business development and consulting. He has seen first-hand how challenging it is to bring a product to market and works to deliver practical know-how to Rev1’s portfolio companies.
Tim earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration with a concentration in finance from Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. Cheesesteaks and soft pretzels will always hold a special place in his heart
Great questions for Tim:
- What is Rev1 Ventures?
- What types of companies typically fit with Rev1’s model?
- How does Rev1 help entrepreneurs build companies?
- Can Rev1 help me secure funding to grow my startup?
Kevin Hammond | Ohio SBDC
Business Management Advice
Kevin Hammond has been a business management consultant for 13 years, mostly focused on small businesses and start-ups. Kevin has been on the SBDC team for almost ten years as a consultant. Prior to consulting, Kevin was in financial services at Chase Manhattan. Kevin has an undergraduate degree in Business Administration from Ohio Dominican University and an MBA from Capital University.
The Ohio SBDC is part of America’s SBDC national network comprised of over 1000 Centers across the U.S. including 28 in Ohio. The Ohio SBDC Network provides one-on-one advising, by Certified Business Advisors, at no cost and conduct no or low cost business training.
Great questions for Kevin:
- I have a business idea. What is my next step?
- How do I market my services and products?
- How can I take my business to the next level?
- How and where can I get money for my business?
- How do I keep track of my financial records and assure I’m tax compliant?
Manny Larcher | Stopwatch Creative
Growth Marketing & Branding
Manny Larcher is the CEO of Stopwatch Creative and Founder of Collaborate and Elevate. He is a first-generation American who enjoys helping others find purpose in their work and is passionate about solving the challenges businesses face around growth.
Stopwatch Creative, a boutique marketing agency, with a portfolio including numerous industries from Start-Ups to highly respected brands and high profile individuals. A full-service agency with the clear goal of driving a positive return on investment for clients, Stopwatch Creative assists their clients in numerous ways website/app development, brand development and growth, storytelling, digital advertising, social media, and more. Manny was recently recognized as one of the Top 20 Young Professionals in Columbus by CityPulse.
Great questions for Manny:
- Am I using best design practices to provide a great user experience and engagement?
- How can I generate more sales?
- How can I maximize the results of advertising efforts with my analytics?
- Is my website or my marketing generating good results?
Ann Martin | Book+Street
Cash Flow Forecasting & Financial Modeling
Ann Martin joined Book+Street in April 2019 and has provided strategic financial services to multiple early stage companies as their contract Chief Financial Officer. Ask her for support in creating financial models, forecasting cash flow, and if stock options are right for you or your employees.
Prior to joining Book+Street, Ann served as Vice President, Operations for Citi Securities Services and Issuer Services Operations where she managed a team of professionals responsible for the division’s annual budget planning, monthly forecasting, headcount planning and tracking, productivity tracking and cost recovery. She provided guidance and recommendations to senior management if productivity and financials went off track. She was also responsible for managing the technology financial plan, partnering with technology and product organizations to develop a strategic prioritization of the annual spend. She also has experience delivering key insights and financial models for strategic M&A transactions.
Ann has more than 25 years of experience in finance, accounting and administration with a strong focus on financial measurement, risk and compliance, and continuous improvement. Her diverse experience includes strategic planning, budgeting and forecasting, management reporting, financial modeling, vendor negotiations, contract administration and leading global, multi-functional project teams. She has an established track record of improving business performance with strategic financial modeling and analysis.
Great questions for Ann:
- How do I know if I’ll have enough money to pay my bills/payroll next week/month/quarter/year?
- How do I develop a revenue forecast?
- What type of financial information do potential investors expect when considering an investment?
- Do I need to give my employees equity?
Brian Laliberte | Oak Moon Consulting
Big Picture Strategy for Growth (Including Post-Pandemic)
Brian Laliberte is a big thinker who knows how to execute. He provides rational and clear-headed analysis and direct advice designed to build and grow highly competitive, valuable, and sustainable companies. Brian and his team collaborate with their clients to define their objectives, design a plan, and help them execute it. His firm is industry agnostic and driven by a natural curiosity that allows it to approach each client and problem with open and agile minds.
Brian is the Founder and Managing Director of Oak Moon Consulting. Before he founded Oak Moon, Brian practiced law for more than 20-years in Columbus, Ohio as a trial lawyer, litigator, and counselor to businesses of all sizes. He uses this background to help portfolio companies navigate complex legal issues and build highly investable and sustainable firms.
Great questions for Brian:
- Here is our strategy. Tell us what you think. Have we chosen the right one?
- What are we doing right? What can we do better?
- Where do we go from here (wherever here is at present)?
- How do we get there?
- What aren’t we considering in pursuing our strategy?
- How do we anticipate emerging opportunities?
Michael Butler | Footprint Capital
Business Exit Advice & Planning
Michael formerly worked as a certified public accountant in both the audit and consulting practices, a Chief Financial Officer with a manufacturing and distribution company, a senior officer of a Fortune 100 company and a partner in a venture capital firm. These experiences have given him a broad perspective on various industries. He is also a Certified Merger & Acquisition Advisor (CMAA).
Great questions for Michael:
- How should I be preparing to sell my business?
- What are the possible exit options for my business?
- What is the value of having an advisor help me sell my company?
- What are the steps of a sale process and how long does it take?
Heather Ferguson | QRT Consulting Group, LLC
Quality Compliance Medical Device Businesses
Heather is a people and results-focused leader with broad experience in the medical device and nutrition quality, regulatory, and manufacturing operations.
Skilled in leadership, quality operations management, regulatory compliance, supply chain logistics, and program management. She has worked for large and small companies and supported their growth and development. Heather will work with you to understand your business and provide customized solutions.
Great questions for Heather:
- I am unsure if my innovation is a medical device – how do I know?
- I have an innovation in the medical device space, what do I do next?
- I am not sure how to determine if a manufacturer is capable of making my product to the required standards – how do I know?
Dorinda Byers | Ohio University PTAC
Dorinda Byers is Associate Director with the Ohio University Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) for Central Ohio. She holds a Bachelor’s degree from Ohio State and a Master’s degree from Muskingum University. She brings over 20 years of experience in business outreach, sales, and workforce development from various roles in the Manufacturing Extension Program (MEP), at Zane State College, and EZG Manufacturing. Throughout these roles, Dorinda has gained a proven track record of increasing organizational effectiveness, shaping cultures, strengthening teams, and positioning businesses for sustainability. She builds relationships and takes action with passion, vision, and resilience to drive business and individual success via partnerships and lifelong learning. In her spare time, she loves to read, travel, cook, walk, and spend time with her husband spoiling their nieces and nephews.
Great questions for Dorinda:
- How do I get started in government contracting?
- What do you recommend a business consider before pursuing government contracts?
- How do I get experience in the government space?
Neil Drobny | Independent Consultant
Environmental Responsibility for Business
Neil’s professional expertise, gained over 50 years as a consultant and academic leader, encompasses environmental sustainability and social responsibility with an emphases on business strategies and practices.
Prior to launching his academic career Neil was executive director of two small recycling organizations — The Association of Ohio Recyclers and the Waste Not Center. Earlier in his career Neil founded and served as CEO of a regional environmental consulting firm. In recognition of work performed for one client his firm received a national award from the American Academy of Environmental Engineers. Additionally, Neil worked at Battelle where he contributed to development of one of the first formal environmental impacts assessment tools. Prior to joining Battelle he was an officer in the U.S. Navy Civil Engineer Corps where he held a research assignment and developed solutions for environmental matters associated with Naval operations; he received a patent for that work.
Great questions for Neil:
- What is the business case for my company to adopt a sustainability agenda?
- Where in my company should sustainability leadership be positioned?
- Will my employees need special training if we decide to become a sustainable company?
- Is there a checklist of requirements that must be met to claim a company is sustainable?
- What is the cost burden that I should anticipate from building sustainability into my company’s products and services?
*Please note that if you register and don’t attend, your time slot will go unfilled, preventing other entrepreneurs from getting the expert advice they need. If you register, but later find that you cannot keep your appointment, please email Neil Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Choose your Expert from the dropdown menu below & click on the Event Date to schedule your Appointment.
Expert Office Hours
Your Questions • Our Experts
Fridays, 8:30-11:30 am
|August 5||February 3|
|October 7||April 7|
|December 2||June 2|
Subscribe to Our Updates!
Why New Albany?
As a community created by innovators for innovators, New Albany offers a robust ecosystem that leverages entrepreneurship, business connectivity, public-private partnerships and quality of life to inspire creativity and accelerate commerce.