Expert Office Hours: Friday, October 4, 2019
October 4 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
| Expert Office Hours
Need business advice? Meet the experts.
When it comes to launching and growing your startup, there are always too many questions. That’s why Innovate New Albany created Expert Office Hours. We bring together expert service providers from varied disciplines who share their expertise at no cost to those who need answers.
Get answers to your toughest questions including:
– what incorporation form is right for me?
– how to protect my intellectual property?
– how to secure funds for expansion?
– can I get a professional website without investing a fortune?
– how to use digital marketing effectively?
– how to earn free publicity for my business?
– how to find the right workspace for my team?
– and many, many more!
Schedule your 30-minute session below:
Noor Bahhur | Porter Wright
Law – Intellectual Property
An associate in the firm’s Corporate Department, Noor Bahhur focuses her practice on intellectual property, privacy, and data security. Noor has experience assisting with a variety of trademark and copyright matters. Her work included the clearance, selection and adaption of trademarks in both domestic and international contexts. Additionally, Noor has helped with copyright matters for architectural drawings and designs and software disputes.
Great questions for Noor:
- What is the value of securing registrations for patents, trademarks, or copyright?
- How can I best protect my own or my business’s intellectual property on a limited budget?
- Do I own intellectual property rights for things I created while employed by another person/company?
Ryan Steele | Porter Wright
Emerging Business Attorney
Ryan Steele helps early stage entrepreneurs choose optimal business structures and complete documentation innovators needed to establish their business foundation, grow and expand, and ultimately exit on their own favorable terms.
Ryan also handles corporate contractual matters to bring mergers, acquisitions, financing, startup operations, and other general business transactions to fruition. Combining business operations knowledge with legal acumen, Ryan efficiently executes complex business contracts so that rapidly growing companies, business owners and early stage entrepreneurs can cost-effectively achieve their growth goals.
Ryan also brings great business savvy to his client relationships. Having managed an office of over 100 people, Ryan can apply his first-hand knowledge of everyday business functions including project management, employee management, and independent contracting, providing practical counsel to fast-growing entities so they can overcome challenges and achieve their business goals.
Great questions for Ryan:
- Incorporating Your New Business – What forms are possible and the pros/cons of each
- Capital Tables – How to structure company ownership to ensure achieving my long term goals?
- Business Operating Agreements – What are these and when does my business need one?
- Liability – How do I protect myself and my business?
- Written Contracts – When and why should my business use them?
- Regulation & Red Tape – What docs must I file to comply with laws/rules for my industry?
Miglena Kotevski | Huntington National Bank
Miglena Kotevski is a Business Banking Relationship Manager/Vice President with the Huntington Business Banking Team in Central Ohio, located in Easton Oval 7. She has over 12 years of experience in banking (all with Huntington), 10 of them working with business clients of different industries and revenue size. Miglena loves assisting Huntington clients with starting their own businesses, growing existing businesses, and going through all stages of a business lifecycle. She works closely with the Huntington Retail banking offices in New Albany, Gahanna, and the surrounding areas to ensure that her clients are being assisted with all their banking/finance needs.
Great questions for Miglena:
- How should I finance a start-up?
- What kind of financing can I obtain to grow my business?
- What do I need to buy a building or to purchase an existing business?
- What kind of bank accounts does Huntington offer on the business banking side?
- How the bank can help a business with day-to-day operations?
Tom Thon | Sandler Training
Business Development Coaching & Training
Tom Thon is a senior level sales and operations leader, highly experienced in leading field-based sales professionals with his leadership skills in accountability, energy, integrity, professionalism, and salesmanship.
Tom‘s selling and sales management career are based on the Radio and Outdoor media industries. (Roles ranged from Account Executive to Sales Manager to GM to Senior VP). In both businesses, Prospecting, Sales Force Development, and Negotiation Techniques were all vital elements to the efficient business unit operations — and stand today as equal vital elements to Sandler Training.
Great questions for Tom:
- How do I qualify or DISQUALIFY prospects?
- How can I shorten my sales cycle?
- What questions should I be asking regarding prospects’ ability to invest with me?
- Why is it that buyers always seem to have control in my sales calls?
- Is there a system I can use to hold myself and sales team accountable for prospecting?
Pete Georgeff | Rev1 Ventures
After spending over 8 years in the Marine Corps, Pete Georgeff began his path to helping entrepreneurs through The Mission Continues Fellowship Program hosted in Columbus by Bunker Labs. Through this program, Pete became heavily involved with the startup ecosystem in Columbus, which led to him joining the Rev1 Ventures team as the Entrepreneur Engagement Adviser.
Great questions for Pete:
- What is Rev1?
- What types of companies typically fit with Rev1’s model?
- How does Rev1 help entrepreneurs build companies?
Brad Griffith | Buckeye Interactive
Web Strategy & Engineering
Brad Griffith is President of Buckeye Interactive, the web strategy and engineering agency he started in 2009. Prior to starting Buckeye Interactive, Brad spent several years consulting and developing web applications in-house for a variety of companies including JPMorgan Chase, QUALCOMM, and the Go Big Network. Brad earned his Masters in Business Administration after completing his Bachelor’s in Electrical and Computer Engineering with honors, both at The Ohio State University. He has more than 20 years of web development experience and has worked from coast to coast with small and large companies, educational institutions, non-profit organizations and government agencies to build innovative web solutions.
Great questions for Brad:
- What is the best way to get my website started?
- How do I start planning an application for my business?
- How can I improve my site for better SEO?
- What different ways can I start building my company’s brand?
- How can I refresh or redesign my website?
Jake Epling | Compass Business Group
IT, Network, Telecommunications & Security
Jake Epling has 6 years of experience as an IT security professional for a multi-billion dollar organization in Columbus, Ohio. He’s since focused his efforts at helping small to medium-sized businesses secure their networks and protect their data.
Great questions for Jake:
- How do I know my network is set up correctly?
- How do I ensure my data is secure?
- WiFi and/or internet connection is too slow–how can I fix this issue?
- What are some of security basics I can cover without hiring someone?
- What are some common IT security gaps in a growing business?
Sara Becker | New Albany CPA Co.
Business Tax Consulting and Preparation
Sara L. Becker, CPA is the President of The New Albany CPA Co. Her experience from Big 4 firms to Fortune 500 companies gives her unique insight into providing optimal tax solutions for business owners. Her focus is providing personalized strategies that leverage savings while also enhancing compliance protection, as available.
Specialties include business planning and comprehensive real estate tax solutions. Services are flat-fee based and include monthly packages that complete the accounting cycle from the business’ bookkeeping to the final individual tax return preparation. A free initial consultation is included. The New Albany CPA Co. is a Preferred Vendor of the Columbus Board of Realtors and an approved wholesale partner of Intuit.
Great questions for Sara:
- What is the most advantageous legal entity for my business?
- How can I utilize tax safe harbors available for (specific areas of) audit protection?
- Who should own the vehicle: the business or the owner?
- Am I filing with the right tax jurisdictions and agencies?
Kevin Hammond | Ohio SBDC
Business Management Advice
Kevin Hammond has been a business management consultant for 13 years, mostly focused on small businesses and start-ups. Kevin has been on the SBDC team for almost ten years as a consultant. Prior to consulting, Kevin was in financial services at Chase Manhattan. Kevin has an undergraduate degree in Business Administration from Ohio Dominican University and an MBA from Capital University.
The Ohio SBDC is part of America’s SBDC national network comprised of over 1000 Centers across the U.S. including 28 in Ohio. The Ohio SBDC Network provides one-on-one advising, by Certified Business Advisors, at no cost and conduct no or low cost business training.
Great questions for Kevin:
- I have a business idea. What is my next step?
- How do I market my services and products?
- How can I take my business to the next level?
- How and where can I get money for my business?
- How do I keep track of my financial records and assure I’m tax compliant?
*Please note that if you register and don’t attend, that time slot doesn’t get filled, keeping other entrepreneurs from getting expert advice. If you have registered and need to cancel, please email Neil Collins at email@example.com.
Choose your Expert from the dropdown menu below and click on the event date to schedule your Expert Office Hours Appointment.
Expert Office Hours
Business experts offer free 30-minute business consultations each month.See the Details
Subscribe to Our Updates!
Why New Albany?
As a community created by innovators for innovators, New Albany offers a robust ecosystem that leverages entrepreneurship, business connectivity, public-private partnerships and quality of life to inspire creativity and accelerate commerce.